Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Meanderings of My Brain

Over the last few weeks, in between moments of pure terror and wondering if I'll have a job in the next 3 months (yay economic troubles), I've had a few ideas rolling around in my head for campaigns/games other than Thylia.

1. Kingdoms of Kalamar: I long ago fell absolutely in love with this setting. To me, it's the crystalization of a middle school style campaign world. Loose and free feeling, but with plenty of threads to pick up if the DM likes them. I can't read a single page of the CS book without getting ideas for half a dozen nights gaming and long, drawn out campaigns. Very political as written, but certainly room for pure adventure style games as well. I'll also mention that I'm a tremendous fan of their pantheon of gods.


2. Alternity Dark Matter Secret Eugenics War: The concept has been rattling about in my brain for a while now, about a covert war fought by genetically enhanced humans to take control of the planet and the shadowy cabals either aiding or opposing them for their onw reasons. Yeah, it's a little Star Trek, but I think I can make it fun.

3. AD&D Ravenloft: Not actually set in the Ravenloft Campaign Setting, but a horror type campaign that makes use of some of the elements there to create a dark and terrifying campaign focusing on the horrifying aspects of the D&D game.

4. AD&D or Alternity American Gods: No, not a total rehash of the book, but the same concepts from the book ported over into a new thing. The idea of gods needing worship lest they face a slow diminution and eventual extinction in ignorance is appealing.

5. FRPG version Time War: Based off of a mishmash of the Chornomancy supplement from 2nd edition and Doctor Who, the concept is of a massive and far reaching time war taking place which the characters discover and either become embroiled in, or simply survive. I'd need to work out how time travel would work in the world, but I think it would be entertaining.

Now, if only I could organize my thoughts enough on Thylia to get together a decent post on it again.

4 comments:

  1. "3. AD&D Ravenloft: Not actually set in the Ravenloft Campaign Setting, but a horror type campaign that makes use of some of the elements there to create a dark and terrifying campaign focusing on the horrifying aspects of the D&D game."

    I often wonder why more DM's don't run horror type campaigns WITHOUT the cumbersome Ravenloft setting to hamstring them. I once ran a few adventures in a "Lovecraft" type village in my home campaign world (involving a Shadow Over Innsmouth type plotline) that went over very well. It actually helped that the players weren't suspecting anything "weird" like a giant sea creature implanting telepathic slugs in villager's brains so he could control the entire village from his cave lair; if I had brought out the stereotypical RL mists, howling wolves and desolate moors, they would have been on guard from the beginning!

    To add to that several D&D monsters have definite creep factor, including mind flayers, ettercaps, doppelgangers, ghouls, and yuan-ti.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good question, and the only thing I can attribute it to is people's infatuation with rules and officialness. So many non-grognard type gamers (of which I count myself) seem to fall prety to the trap that more rules inevitably means a better, more "balanced" game somehow.

    I admit that, at times, I find a lot of the stuff out of the Raveloft books and boxes to be absolutely fascinating, but I'm also the first to admit that, while they might be cool on paper, they're best just thrown the hell out half the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Atlanta, Real Estate Inspections are an important part to be included in your property maintenance routine because as much as getting your painted or getting apparent repairs done is important, a home inspection is important in order to know if your house is safe for you and your family to live or not. There are many factors that are hazardous for your family such as high levels of radon inside your home, mold problems, water leaks, termites, air pollution and other factors that pose a threat to your health. A known name for Home Inspection Atlanta has is Champia Real Estate Inspection which deals in home inspection as well as commercial inspections. They were founded in 1987 and have a record of over 50,000 completed inspections and a completion time of 24 hours which is pretty quick. Not to forget their multiple warranties on home inspection which makes it even more reliable.

    ReplyDelete